Check out our fun fire facts for kids and enjoy learning a wide range of interesting information about fire.
Find out what fire requires in order to burn, how hot a candle flame is, what we use fire for, how dangerous fire can be, how to put out a fire and much more. Read on and have fun learning about fire!
- Fire is a chemical reaction that releases light and heat.
- Substances combine with oxygen in the air, combusting with a flame and often smoke.
- Fires require fuel, oxygen and heat to burn.
- Different types of fuel include coal, oil and wood.
- Flames are the part of a fire which we can see, they can be different colors, depending on the substance which is burning.
- Fire is very dangerous to humans as it can easily burn or blister skin. It is important to take safety precautions when using fire.
- Fire is also very useful to humans for lighting, heating, cooking and more.
- Scientists believe that humans began using fire to cook food in a controlled way around 1 million years ago.
- Forest fires can be extremely destructive and are dangerous to both humans and wildlife.
- Fires are also an important ecological process that can stimulate growth.
- Fires can be stopped in 3 different ways:
- Removing the fuel source by exhausting it or taking it away.
- Removing the oxygen by smothering the fire.
- Removing the heat by absorbing it with water.
- Fire extinguishers are often used to control fires by discharging water, foams, carbon dioxide, dry chemicals or other substances.