French Hot Chocolate Recipe (Chocolat Chaud) Rich, dark, and silky, this Parisian style Drinking Chocolate, is a thick gourmet hot chocolate that is hard to
- 8 ounces good bittersweet chocolate bars
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a sauce pot. Set the pot over medium-low heat and add the milk, cream, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Stir until the chocolate comes to a low simmer and the drinking chocolate is completely smooth and slightly thickened.
- The drinking chocolate should be substantially thicker than classic hot chocolate, but not as thick as chocolate fondue. If it is too thin, simmer a little longer. If it is too thick, add another 1/4 cup milk. Ladle into mugs and enjoy immediately.